Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tuesday... almost as good as Friday

When you read this title... you're probably thinking, what in the world is wrong with this girl... Nothing is wrong with me. This semester I got the joy of becoming a Big Buddy.  What does that mean you ask... well... a big buddy is a mentor, for an underprivileged child in grades 1-5.  You get to spend 2.5 hours with them, one day a week and encourage them to work hard in school, to become a better citizen, or pretty much just be there for them.  This organization is  College Mentors for Kids aka CMFK.  I never thought that this program could have such a huge impact on my life... but it has.

The first week, we went to the school to meet the kids on their own turf and meet their parents too so they knew the person that was going to be with the child for 2.5 hours a week.  My little buddies name is Angela.  She is a hoot.  She reminds me a lot of me when I was younger.  She's helped me learn how to be even more patient than I ever thought I could be!

Another great thing about CMFK is the fact that you get to meet people from Purdue from all different majors and backgrounds and you get to become pretty good friends with them.  For example, my little buddy and two guys little buddies are pretty much best friends and they won't be apart.  So, we have gotten to know each other pretty well which is cool because I probably never would have met them if I didn't do this.  Especially since they are management and engineering majors.

So, each week we go on a "field trip" with them. The first week on campus, it was my turn.  Let's just say I was excited.  Terone Johnson is my best friend. He got me in contact with the head of basketball operations for the men's team and we set up a tour of Mackey, the guys were going to read the book of the week to them and talk to them about working hard in school. Let's just say that was adorable.  From dance offs with Robbie Hummel (he can't dance btw) to hearing DJ read and getting stuck on a word, to seeing one of our little buddies stand next to Sandi for a picture. SO CUTE! Let's just say I think I had more fun than the kids did.  At the end of the day, we made thank you cards for each of the players.  All the little girls wanted to make Ryne and DJ's... let's just say they all had little crushes on then.  It was adorable.







Those were just some of the cool things we did while we were in Mackey.  Here is my little buddy :) Isn't she a cutie. :)

Well, I'm sure I will have more to tell you about CMFK at a later date.

For now, as always...
Boiler Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment