Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Grandpa Was A Hero

There are so many things about my grandpa that made him a hero in my eyes.  We buried a great man yesterday.  There was an absolutely beautiful graveside service with a 21 gun salute, taps, the presenting of flags to my brother, two cousins, and myself.  But the thing that makes him a hero the most in my eyes, more even than him being a veteran, was that he was a Christian.  I am so thankful for that.  
Here is the things that I wrote for his funeral service.

There is just something about those people who pick on you for 20 years that helps you become the person that you are today.  Well, grandpa was one of those people.  If he wasn’t picking on me or telling me that he was “bigger than me” and going to be able to beat me up, he was blaming me for eating all the Oreos or ice cream.  Not only would he not fess up to it, but also while Grandma Mid was getting on me, he would stand behind her and laugh.  Even when his memory wasn’t as sharp as it used to be, when I would go and visit him, he would still torment me about school.  If you knew my grandpa Al at all though, you would expect nothing less from him. 
There were things he taught me that he probably doesn’t even realize that he did though, from teaching me how to drive the tractor to teaching me how to pick green beans and corn.  I never thought they were important back then; I just wanted to get to where we were going on the tractor so I could get off of it because it was slow and I looked forward to having corn on the cob and Grandma’s famous greens for supper later.  But those moments when I was on the tractor or in the garden with him were moments I will never forget. 
Another great memory I have of him is being with grandma during the days while he was at work.  He worked with Dad until just a few years ago.  He worked hard at home too keeping up with mowing his big yard, tending to his garden or doing Honey-Do jobs for Grandma.  I never hear him complain about having too much to do.  It just showed the work ethic that was instilled in him that I hope that has rubbed off on me some. 
Christmases were always fun with my grandparents too.  I think one of the best memories was one Christmas when Trigger was being Trigger (Running around and barking all the time) And I was like “Grandpa, there is something wrong with him, maybe he needs to go to the bathroom.”  So he says,”all right, I guess it’s time to take the dawwwwwwwwwwg out!” To this day, anytime I am having a bad day or need a laugh, I think of that moment. 
I also think about the fact that my grandpa was a solider. He fought for the freedom of not only the people back then, but for me, and you and everyone to come.  I am forever grateful for that.
One of my all time favorite things about having grandparents so close was whenever I wanted; I could just run down to their house and hang out with them.  Talk to then about the old days when they were growing up and how much harder they had it than we can even imagine.  Also, when I would be at the house and they would need to go somewhere as soon as I got my permit, I was driving them everywhere.  Taking them around and helping them do things taught me so many things.  Not only how to be a good grandchild, but also how to be a good spouse.  There was so much love shown between my grandma and grandpa.  Although I don’ completely understand the ins and outs of Heaven, in my mind, I think they are together again. 
Not only was my grandpa a great person to be around all the time, but also he was one of the best Christian men I have ever met in my life.  I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to learn from him and follow the example that he set for me and the rest of the people he was in contact with.   Most of all, I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to spent time with him and learn about working hard, how to be a great Christian, how to treat my spouse one day, and most of all how much love grandparents can have for their grandchildren.

My grandpa was a hero.  To some people, he might not have been because he didn't do anything spectacular.  He was just a normal man working hard and providing for his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment