Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hummel's Last Stand

I've been trying to decide how to write this since right after the game.  I had so many emotions after that game, I didn't think it would be in my best interests to write it then.  Now that I am somewhat removed from the situation, here it goes... the final goodbye.

Throughout the whole game we were right there. All but 39 seconds, and those were the most important 39 seconds of the game.  Last Sunday our last Baby Boiler took the court in what most people were preparing to be a blowout.  It was anything but that. Robbie Hummel came out on a role that I have never seen as a student.  Sure, he had the night against The Villain and the rest of the scarlet and grey in 2008, but ever since then, he has either been hurt or just had a typical Robbie game.  Quite 15 points and 10 rebounds.  Tonight, you could tell there was something special.  Rob came out with passion in his eyes and you could tell he was going to do everything in his power to keep his team in this game against Kansas.  He ended up with 26 points.  22 of those coming in the first half.  The most he scored all season.

We had an amazing half.  This seemed too good to be true.  Was Robbie and Co. finally going to get over the edge this year and beat a GREAT team? Was Kansas going to continue to shoot this awful? Can we keep this momentum? Are we really beating Kansas? These were all questions going through my head at halftime when we had a 6 point lead, it felt like 20.  We were playing so well, I didn't think there was anyway that we could lose this game and I had already thought about the chance of getting to go to St. Louis to watch the Boilers in the Sweet 16.

Then it happened.  What Boiler fans everywhere were hoping wouldn't happen... the collapse.  The Boilers this season had unfortunately been prone to a scoring drought and during that time, the lead was sometimes lost.  Tonight was one of those.  With about 4 minutes to go, I really began to feel the momentum shift.  We couldn't hit a shot anymore and finally, Kansas' shots were going in.  Their defense stepped up and with that it gave them the confidence to continue to shoot.  At this point, I begin to pace... straw in hand... just hoping and praying that this isn't going to be another heartache for the Boilers, especially Robbie who has already had so many heartaches.  I remember the last minute vividly, but I am not going to talk about that here.  Rob had a great shot, it just wouldn't go down.  Then the desperation shot at the end of the game by Ryne that would have sent it into overtime reminded me a little too much of this desperation shot by Gordon.

It was over. The team was devastated. I remember Ryne doubling over the scorers table, DJ just stopping and dropping to his knees, and Robbie... oh Robbie trying to be strong grabbing his jersey, hands on his head, chewing on his shirt trying not to cry.  You could see the tears in his eyes, and with that, I fell to my knees and cried right along with them.  Then, I decided to listen to the post game interview.  Coach Painter's opening statement might have been the best statement out of this whole thing.  "It stinks.  Losing stinks." I couldn't agree more, Coach.  Robbie and LewJack came in for what would be their last press conferences as Boilermakers.  You could hear the emotion in their voices, the red eyes, the having to pause before answering any questions.  I could tell they were both on the verge of breaking down--  at any moment.  Hearing Robbie say it hadn't hit him yet and then begin to cry, I again cried.  I think every Boilermaker felt the emotion on their faces.

Sure, last year we lost JJ and E'Twaun, but I don't remember this being as hard for me or the rest of Boiler Nation.  The last of the Baby Boilers was gone.  The one who has done so much for Purdue, been a GREAT influence for so many kids, the one who fought through injury after injury and never gave up.  Robbie Hummel was done.  I don't think I really realized how much I was going to miss Robbie until this last game.  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  I can't imagine Purdue basketball without Robbie Hummel.  But, I guess I'm going to have too.

The ReBirth is coming, they are ready.  So are we.  We will never forget everything that Robbie taught us about how to work through everything, and do what we need to do for the betterment of our team. Thank you Robbie for teaching us all of this.  Also, thanks to LewJack and Ryne for all the great memories.  It was a great honor to watch you all over the past  4 years.

Whose ready for next year?! ME!

Until later,

Ever Grateful, Ever True

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment